Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
1 courgette, diced
1 red pepper, diced
4 tomatoes, diced
1 small onion
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp of toasted sesame seeds
20g of fresh coriander
Suölo Reduced Sodium Sea Salt, Black Pepper & Chilli to taste
Aubergine puree spices
½ tsp ginger powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp of ground coriander
Juice of ½ a lemon
40 ml of olive oil
- Wrap 1 aubergine in foil 2-3 times and roast over a direct flame or in a very hot pan if using induction or electric hobs (BBQ is better for added smokiness) turning every 2-3 minutes until soft and smoky.
- While this is roasting slice the other aubergine into long strips, dice the outer slices into cubes
- Pan fry the diced aubergine with courgette, garlic and red pepper mixing regularly until coloured.
- Add the tomatoes once the vegetables are coloured and leave to cook for another minute before seasoning with Suölo Reduced Sodium Sea Salt, Black Pepper & Chilli to taste.
- Pan Fry or roast (220°C /200Fan/Gas 6) the slices of aubergine with a little oil until golden
- When the smoked aubergine is soft, scoop out the centre and blend with the aubergine spices and lemon juice. You can add some olive oil too if you’d like a thicker puree. Season to taste with Suölo Reduced Sodium Sea Salt, Black Pepper & Chilli.
- Lay the sliced aubergine flat on a plate and top with the smoked aubergine puree, diced vegetables and garnish with fresh coriander and toasted sesame seeds.
- The more oil you add to the puree the thicker it will become so you can adapt the amount of oil you use to how you’d like your puree
- You can use pomace or sunflower oil if you’d like a milder tasting puree