Prep time: 25 minutes, plus 7- 14 days for fermentation
Cooking time: 45-90 minutes
400g grated black beetroot
2 candy beetroot
2 golden beetroot
1 punnet of blackberries
Peel and juice of 1 orange
1 star anise
1/2tsp coriander seeds
1 pinch ground cloves
1 bay leaf
80ml of white wine vinegar
1 ½ tsp (8g) Suölo® Reduced Sodium Sea Salt
For the Salsa Verde
1 bunch of basil
1 bunch of chervil
2tbsp of sherry vinegar (white wine vinegar will also work well)
2 cloves of garlic
200ml of olive oil
40g capers, drained and roughly chopped
- Grate the black beetroot and add salt (2g of Suölo® Reduced Sodium Sea Salt per 100g of beetroot or 2% w/w).
- Place in a jar or container with a weight on top (you can use a ziplock bag with water in it pushed down into the container as a weight)
- Allow to ferment for 7-14 days. The ferment should be completely covered with its own fluid by the time it’s finished fermenting. To ensure a successful fermentation make sure the solid beetroot is below the liquid line as much as possible throughout the process. Push it down below the line with a spoon or other utensil if the bag of water or other weight isn’t doing the trick.
- When the ferment is ready empty into a pan and add the peel and juice of 1 orange, sugar, star anise, cinnamon, coriander seeds, ground cloves a bay leaf and white wine vinegar.
- Heat and allow to reduce until the liquid starts to look like a syrup and allow to cool in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4
- Place the candy and golden beetroots and place in foil with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of Suölo® Reduced Sodium Sea Salt and put in the oven. Bake the beetroot until you can put a knife through the beetroot.
- Cut the beetroot into rough chunks and keep in separate containers until needed
- For the salsa verde finely chop the shallots, capers , garlic and herbs
- Mix all the ingredients together to create a salsa verde.
- To serve place the beetroot on the plate with roasted beetroots on top and halved blackberries and then drizzle the salsa verde over the top.
- A dash of Kirsch works well with the golden and candy beetroot mixture.
- The roasting time for the beetroot can vary depending on the size of the beetroot but usually between 45- 90 minutes.
- You can use a food processor to prepare the shallots, capers and garlic for the salsa verde.
- If you freeze some of the fermented beetroot you can use it as a “starter” for next time you want to ferment and reduce the fermentation time down to a few days!