Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
30ml of olive oil
350g risotto rice
1 large onion
1 carrot chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic
40g Parmesan cheese – save some shavings for garnish
150ml white wine
150g cooked peas
150g cooked and peeled broad beans
100g courgette diced
40g butternut squash, diced
Balsamic glaze a drizzle for garnish
For the Vegetable Stock
4 garlic cloves
500ml white wine
1.4 l water
- For the vegetable stock - In a hot pan pour in the white wine and allow to reduce until almost completely evaporated. It should be darker and sticky with listing large bubbles roughly 50ml left
- Pour in the water and add the vegetables.
- Once it starts to boil turn the heat down to a low simmer and leave for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes turn the heat off and leave to one side, or allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to 3 days
- For butternut squash puree - Boil the butternut squash in 100ml of vegetable stock and blend to a smooth paste with a little stock (this can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, red pepper, garlic and thyme and gently fry on a low heat for 3 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not brown
- Add the rice stirring to coat the grains in oil and gently fry until the grains are translucent. Add the wine if desired, stirring constantly until the wine has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add one ladle of hot vegetable stock, constantly stirring the rice until it is completely absorbed. Remove the thyme
- Add a second ladle of stock followed by the carrots
- Keep adding the stock by the ladleful, stirring until dissolved, repeat this until the rice is tender with a slight bite. With the last ladle of stock add the peas, broad beans, courgette, and butternut squash puree
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and Parmesan to the risotto.
- To serve place a portion in a bowl, garnish with Parmesan shavings, balsamic vinegar and basil.